|Leicester Print Workshop
|Date & Time
|Saturday 11th May 2024
10.00am - 4.00pm
|Beginner / Intermediate
Use shapes, colours and layers to create your own bold, abstract prints on paper! You will create a design using shapes of your choice, they could be organic, geometric or both. Then hand cut stencils of your design and print two or three layers of colour using your stencils, colourful inks, a squeegee and a silk screen!
- Introduction with examples showing each stage of the process including; different designs for stencils, hand cut stencils and finished screen prints.
- Health and safety information including safe use of scalpels. Demonstration of how to hand cut stencils.
- Demonstration of how to set up to screen print including details about materials and equipment. Hand out with details of materials/equipment.
- Demonstration of how to screen print a single colour design followed by a demonstration of how to register and screen print a two colour design. Demonstration of how to clean screens, squeegees etc. Hand out with step by step instructions.
- Participants will hand cut stencils of their designs. They will set up to screen print and print onto A3 paper using their stencils, screens, squeegees and colourful water based inks.
- Participants will clean screens, squeegees and any other equipment they have used for printing.
- By the end of the course participants will have each produced about six finished screen prints on sheets of A3 paper, finished prints will have two or more different layers of colour.
About the Tutor
Karoline Rerrie is an illustrator and printmaker who has specialised in screen print for over ten years. She draws artwork by hand and then creates the layers for each colour using either photo stencils or simple hand cut stencils. She carefully screen prints her work in small, limited editions. Her work is characterised by bold outlines, bright colours and pattern. She also enjoys working with shapes and overlapping layers of flat colour to create her prints. She is inspired by screen printing and all the possibilities it offers. Alongside creating her own prints Karoline also works on commissions and regularly runs screen print workshops.
Leicester Print Workshop
Leicester Print Workshop is the regional development centre for printmaking. Established by artists in 1986, we are a registered charity, supported by Arts Council England. Our RIBA award-winning building is situated in Leicester City Centre's Cultural Quarter and is home to a large, well equipped open access Printmaking Studio.
We have over 30 years’ experience of teaching people printmaking. Our programme offers the largest number and broadest range of printmaking courses in the region, with courses suitable for beginners as well as experienced printmakers, delivered by practicing artists and nationally renowned tutors. Participants learn in small and friendly groups in our purpose-designed studio.
Online: You can book online here by credit / debit card or Paypal.
Telephone: You can pay by card over the phone during our opening hours (Wednesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm). Call us on 0116 251 4174.
In person: Call in to Leicester Print Workshop during our opening hours (Wednesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm) to book and pay by card, cash or cheque.
Pre-course information: We will send you details of how to find us and what to bring with you when we process your booking.
Full-Print Members of Leicester Print Workshop are entitled to a 10% discount on our inhouse courses. Interested in joining LPW as a member? Click here for more information.