Using Photographic Stencils with Screenprinting
|Location||Leicester Print Workshop|
|Date & Time||Saturday 21st October 2023
10.00am - 4.00pm
|Experience||Beginner / Intermediate|
Spend a day learning the colourful art of screen printing! Learn how to make a photo-stencil and screen print an image, illustration or design of your own. Coat a screen with light sensitive photo emulsion, expose your black and white image onto the screen using a UV exposure unit before washing out the screen to make a photo stencil. Set up to screen print with your photo-stencil and learn how to register two different layers of colour. Hand pull a series of about ten prints on paper using colourful water based inks.
- Health and safety information.
- Introduction with examples of A4 artwork and two colour screen prints on paper.
- Demonstration of how to coat a screen. Participants will each coat a screen.
- Demonstration of how to set up to screen print, how to register different layers of colour, how to screen print onto paper and how to clean screens and squeegees. Participants will create a background or second layer to go with the A4 image they have brought in.
- Demonstration of how to expose screens and wash out to create a photo stencil. Participants will expose their own images onto coated screens and wash out.
- Participants will set up to screen print, register their first layer of colour, hand pull about 10 prints on A4 or A3 paper and clean up.
- Lastly participants will add their second colour, finish their prints and clean up.
About the Tutor
Karoline Rerrie is an illustrator and printmaker who has specialised in screen print for over ten years. She draws artwork by hand and then creates the layers for each colour using either photo stencils or simple hand cut stencils. She carefully screen prints her work in small, limited editions. Her work is characterised by bold outlines, bright colours and pattern. She also enjoys working with shapes and overlapping layers of flat colour to create her prints. She is inspired by screen printing and all the possibilities it offers. Alongside creating her own prints Karoline also works on commissions and regularly runs screen print workshops.
Leicester Print Workshop
Leicester Print Workshop is the regional development centre for printmaking. Established by artists in 1986, we are a registered charity, supported by Arts Council England. Our RIBA award-winning building is situated in Leicester City Centre's Cultural Quarter and is home to a large, well equipped open access Printmaking Studio.
We have over 30 years’ experience of teaching people printmaking. Our programme offers the largest number and broadest range of printmaking courses in the region, with courses suitable for beginners as well as experienced printmakers, delivered by practicing artists and nationally renowned tutors. Participants learn in small and friendly groups in our purpose-designed studio.
Online: You can book online here by credit / debit card or Paypal.
Telephone: You can pay by card over the phone during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm). Call us on 0116 251 4174.
In person: Call in to Leicester Print Workshop during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm) to book and pay by card, cash or cheque.
Pre-course information: We will send you details of how to find us and what to bring with you when we process your booking.
Full-Print Members of Leicester Print Workshop are entitled to a 10% discount on our inhouse courses. Interested in joining LPW as a member? Click here for more information.