The Ultimate Screenprint Summer School
|Leicester Print Workshop
|Date & Time
|Tuesday 28th May- Saturday 1st June 2024
10.30am - 4.30pm
This week long Summer School will take you on the ultimate screenprint journey. Introducing you to stencils and mono screen, mark making and photographic screenprinting. You will then finish the week with a textile screenprinting day and an experimentation day to practice everything you've learnt.
This is an unmissable opportunity to discover, refresh or practice all the skills necessary to use this versatile and popular print technique. You will leave with a robust toolkit of knowledge that will set you up for years of screenprinting.
Taught by LPW’s resident screenprint expert, Katy, you will pack each day with skills learned over years of making and be fast tracked through a variety of troubleshooting tips, hints and best practice by an expert in their field. Learning in a small group, this is a fun, sunny course to flex your creativity and hone a wide range of abilities.
- Introduction to screenprinting
- Selecting which threadcount of screen is best for your image
- Best studio practice including space set up, mixing inks, choosing the right paper and registration
- Print using cut and torn stencils with mono screen techniques
- Demonstration of how to use photoshop to create photographic work, including half tones
- How to coat and expose your photographic screen
- Print photographic image onto backgrounds created on day 1
- Continue printing previous screens
- Learn how to remove an image from your screen ready to re expose
- Prepare artwork for Textile Screen using photoshop and/or drawing onto mark resist using a wide variety of tools and materials – find your experimental line
- Textile day – discussing differences in technique from paper screen, show examples
- Coat and expose textile screen
- Printing onto a tote bag, tea towel, t-shirt or length of fabric
- Opportunity to ‘upcycle’ your own clothes and print onto them
- Experimental play bringing together images and techniques
- Adding layers and playing with colour, rotation and repetition
- Option of printing onto other materials
About the Tutor
Leicester based artist Katy Goodrich has been a part of Leicester Print Workshop for the last 10 years. Starting as a volunteer she then undertook a 5 year apprenticeship at LPW learning all aspects of print and in 2020 Katy became a technician at the LPW studio.
Specialising in screenprinting, Katy uses underwater photographs to create her work mainly using the CMYK colour separation technique.
Leicester Print Workshop
Leicester Print Workshop is the regional development centre for printmaking. Established by artists in 1986, we are a registered charity, supported by Arts Council England. Our RIBA award-winning building is situated in Leicester City Centre's Cultural Quarter and is home to a large, well equipped open access Printmaking Studio.
We have over 30 years’ experience of teaching people printmaking. Our programme offers the largest number and broadest range of printmaking courses in the region, with courses suitable for beginners as well as experienced printmakers, delivered by practicing artists and nationally renowned tutors. Participants learn in small and friendly groups in our purpose-designed studio.
Online: You can book online here by credit / debit card or Paypal.
Telephone: You can pay by card over the phone during our opening hours (Wednesday- Saturday, 10am - 5pm). Call us on 0116 251 4174.
In person: Call in to Leicester Print Workshop during our opening hours (Wednesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm) to book and pay by card, cash or cheque.
Pre-course information: We will send you details of how to find us and what to bring with you when we process your booking.
Full-Print Members of Leicester Print Workshop are entitled to a 10% discount on our inhouse courses. Interested in joining LPW as a member? Click here for more information.