Letterpress Summer School
|Leicester Print Workshop
|Date & Time
|Tuesday 24th - Saturday 28th July
10.00am - 4.00pm.
Suitable for those with some or no prior experience you will start your work with a general introduction to letterpress and its terminology and as the week progresses you will work with lead and wood type to create a small edition of prints and posters. You will use our Adana presses and our proofing press and will work up to A3 in size. During the course you will learn how to set and print a simple form and gain a good basic knowledge of the processes of setting type. Using wooden or lead type, you can choose from a wide range of fonts and sizes to make individual prints.
About the Tutor
Sat Kalsi is a typesetter and printmaker based in Brighton and Leicester. Working largely with letterpress she uses lead type to produce type-based prints. She completed a BA in Graphic Design at the University of the Arts London (2008). She currently works as part of the studio team for Leicester Print Workshop and also as a Technical Demonstrator in the letterpress workshop for the University of Brighton School of Art, Design and Media.
- Tour of the workshop and location of equipment and storage sites, health and safety and fire evacuation procedure explained
- An induction to setting type using a composing stick the principle of which is the foundation of setting type in letterpress whether with metal or wooden type
- Equipment, terminology explained
- Demonstration shown (type case layout), students given time to practice demonstration (setting left aligned type)
- Demonstration of how to roll ink and how to take a proof print (ideal for generating sketchbook ideas)
- Students given time to take a proof print
- Demonstration and example of how to lock a forme into a chase and the purpose of a chase explained
- Demonstration of experimental ways of how to set wooden type
- Time available to talk about ideas
- Students continue to set and take experimental proof prints
- Ideas and/suggestions of how to bind work produced
Day 4 & 5
- Students continuing printing and begin to think about ways of how to bring together their prints to form a continuous and (direct or indirect) coherent narrative
Online: You can book online here by credit / debit card or Paypal.
Telephone: You can pay by card over the phone during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm). Call us on 0116 251 4174.
In person: Call in to Leicester Print Workshop during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm) to book and pay by card, cash or cheque.
Pre-course information: We will send you details of how to find us and what to bring with you when we process your booking.
Full-Print Members of Leicester Print Workshop are entitled to a 10% discount on our inhouse courses. Interested in joining LPW as a member? Click here for more information.