Introduction to Textile Screenprinting
|Location||Leicester Print Workshop|
|Date & Time||Saturday 9th February
10.00am - 4.00pm
This course is currently full. Follow the link above to be added to the waiting list. You might want to look at our Contemplating Design: Colour and Composition or our Textile Screen, Heatpress and Dyes Weekend courses as good alternatives.
Zara Shephard will teach you how to translate your ideas, preparing them for screen. You will learn to expose your own images, print on fabric and experiment with layers. You will learn basic colour mixing skills and prepare your own colours for printing.
There is no previous experience necessary, Zara will demonstrate each stage of the process supporting you in designing and printing your own designs.
At the end of the workshop you’ll leave with your own printed tote bag, as well as the fabric samples that you have produced.
- Welcome to LPW and introduction to the course
- Tutor introduction showing examples of own work, briefing on the intended outcomes for the course.
- Demo: How to select appropriate imagery for screen demonstrating printing with 2 colours
- Translate art work into designs prepared for screens by either photocopy onto acetate or hand drawn onto drafting film
- Demo: An introduction into selecting appropriate imagery for screen
- Individual tutorial to discuss images for exposing on to screen
- Participants: Work on preparing design
- Demo: How to coat a screen
- Select an A3 size screen for sampling
- Demo: Screen coating
- Demo: Using the exposure unit to burn the image to screen
- Participants: Coat 2 screens each
- Demo: Colour mixing
- Participants: Expose screens
- Demo: How to screen print, do’s and don’ts
- Participant: Printing samples and troubleshooting
- Demo: Experimenting with layering
- Participants: screen printing experimenting with colour and layers
- Participants: Screen print final design onto tote bag
- Demo: Using the heat press to fix final prints
About the Tutor
Zara grew up in Weston-super-Mare, she pursued her creative talents completing a foundation diploma in art and design at Weston college. Followed by a textile design degree at Winchester School of Arts graduating in 2006.
After graduation Zara was offered a job as technical instructor in printed textiles at Loughborough University. Zara taught undergraduate students skills in colour mixing, printing and dyeing. Zara is passionate about developing and learning new skills to enhance her teaching practice, whilst working at Loughborough she achieved an associate fellowship in teaching at higher education.
After ten years in Loughborough she made the decision to relocate to her home town of Weston-super-Mare and set up a print studio producing her own work and teaching others this wonderful craft. Alongside workshops in her own studio Zara teaches at Leicester Print Workshop and The Makery in Bath.
Online: You can book online here by credit / debit card or Paypal.
Telephone: You can pay by card over the phone during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm). Call us on 0116 251 4174.
In person: Call in to Leicester Print Workshop during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm) to book and pay by card, cash or cheque.
Pre-course information: We will send you details of how to find us and what to bring with you when we process your booking.
Full-Print Members of Leicester Print Workshop are entitled to a 10% discount on our inhouse courses. Interested in joining LPW as a member? Click here for more information.