Textile Screen, Heatpress & Dyes Weekend
|Location||Leicester Print Workshop|
|Date & Time||Saturday 20th - Sunday 21st April
10.00am - 4.00pm
A weekend looking at using disperse dyes to explore beautiful, fluid mark making on fabric. You will mix your own colour palette and learn to print onto textiles.
You will then make a silkscreen and overprint your backgrounds and combine them with stencils and a number of heatpress techniques, flocking, foil and puff binder.
- Discuss intended outcomes for the weekend.
- Begin course with disperse dyes intro. Explain what they are and how they work- quick demo.
- Experiment colour mixing with dyes and painting onto cartridge paper to either collage with or try resist techniques using stencils and found materials. Heatpress onto small pieces of fabric to begin to get a feel for the medium.
- After experimentation consider designs using screens and how these could be combined with disperse dye grounds.
- Coat screens ready for exposing.
- Demo screen printing onto disperse dyed backgrounds using opaque binders
- Paint/ collage final backgrounds for heat pressing onto fabric samples.
- Create artwork ready to put onto screen
- Expose screens ready for Sunday morning.
- Practice printing with screens onto calico until confident to print onto disperse dyed backgrounds.
- Demo heat press techniques, flock, foil and puff binder.
- Experiment with heat press techniques.
- Participants practice printing using layering, stencils and blank screens.
- Print final designs using the flock, foil and puff onto pieces of dyed fabrics.
About the Tutor
Alex Palmer graduated from Loughborough University in 2010 with a 2:1 BA Honours in Printed Textiles Design. Currently working at De Montfort University in the Printed and Dyeing Textiles department, Alex works closely with students introducing a variety of printing/dyeing techniques to enable the students to further develop their work.
Alex also produces dyed/printed textiles outside of her usual work to keep her inspired and on trend with what is happening in the textiles industry.
Online: You can book online here by credit / debit card or Paypal.
Telephone: You can pay by card over the phone during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm). Call us on 0116 251 4174.
In person: Call in to Leicester Print Workshop during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm) to book and pay by card, cash or cheque.
Pre-course information: We will send you details of how to find us and what to bring with you when we process your booking.
Full-Print Members of Leicester Print Workshop are entitled to a 10% discount on our inhouse courses. Interested in joining LPW as a member? Click here for more information.