Contemplating Textile Design Weekend
|Location||Leicester Print Workshop|
|Date & Time||Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th October
10.00am - 4.00pm
"I thoroughly enjoyed being taught by Alex she's incredibly informative and puts you at ease with the processes." March 2020
An inspiring weekend looking specifically at producing a 3 or 4 layer screenprinted textiles design. Using your own drawing skills and mark making techniques, create a unique A3 print, that captures your own personal aesthetic whilst learning about colour and composition.
- Introduction to the course and discuss the intended outcomes for the weekend. Look at inspiration for textiles designs, regarding design, composition and colour.
- Using the artwork you have brought along as a starting point, begin to create a print design to A3 size, consisting of 3 or 4 layers.
- Hand draw your design onto drafting film, considering the use of line and mark-making using a variety of materials. Learn to register the layers using cross points.
- Coat large screens, expose finished designs onto the screens using the exposure unit and prepare to print.
- Demonstration in how to mix colour for screenprinting.
- Mix fabric print pastes in your colour palette(s) ready for the following day.
- Demonstration of how to print and registering your layers.
- Practice printing and layering the screens onto calico fabric.
- Explore your chosen colour palette by experimenting with different colourways.
- Print final samples onto cotton fabric.
About the Tutor
Alex Palmer graduated from Loughborough University in 2010 with a 2:1 BA Honours in Printed Textiles Design. Currently working at De Montfort University in the Printed and Dyeing Textiles department, Alex works closely with students introducing a variety of printing/dyeing techniques to enable the students to further develop their work.
Alex also produces dyed/printed textiles outside of her usual work to keep her inspired and on trend with what is happening in the textiles industry.
Leicester Print Workshop
Leicester Print Workshop is the regional development centre for printmaking. Established by artists in 1986, we are a registered charity, supported by Arts Council England. Our RIBA award-winning building is situated in Leicester City Centre's Cultural Quarter and is home to a large, well equipped open access Printmaking Studio.
We have over 30 years’ experience of teaching people printmaking. Our programme offers the largest number and broadest range of printmaking courses in the region, with courses suitable for beginners as well as experienced printmakers, delivered by practicing artists and nationally renowned tutors. Participants learn in small and friendly groups in our purpose-designed studio.
Online: You can book online here by credit / debit card or Paypal.
Telephone: You can pay by card over the phone during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm). Call us on 0116 251 4174.
In person: Call in to Leicester Print Workshop during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm) to book and pay by card, cash or cheque.
Pre-course information: We will send you details of how to find us and what to bring with you when we process your booking.
Full-Print Members of Leicester Print Workshop are entitled to a 10% discount on our inhouse courses. Interested in joining LPW as a member? Click here for more information.