Repeat Pattern Fabric Printmaking with Linocut Textiles
|Leicester Print Workshop
|Date & Time
|Sunday 16th October 2022
10.00am - 4.00pm
- Examples of work shared by tutor covering principles and process of linocut printmaking.
- Demonstration of linocut tool handling through a simple and mindful mark-making exercise to help inform repeat image design.
- Discussions about planning before you print - type of images which transcribe well into a repeat design. Sketching out ideas considering shape and form, inspiring visuals will also be provided.
- Guidance on how to develop elements of your idea into a repeat design.
- Transfer and carve repeat designs on Japanese vinyl blocks.
- Guidance and support will be on hand through the day from the tutor as well as encouraged shared learning between the group.
Lunch (please bring your own)
- Leading on from our mornings work there will be a repeat printing demonstration by the tutor as a guide to layout and technique.
- Group will be encouraged to explore individual varied layouts of printing their repeat design by testing on paper first followed by fabric test prints.
- Handprinting your final repeat design on a fabric fat quarter.
- Complete work, tidy up and share thoughts on work produced.
About the Tutor
Mandeep Dhadialla is an Artist Printmaker living and working in Leicester. Her work revolves around linocut printmaking, including on textiles, and making handprinted and hand-bound books. This also reflects wider through the postal TLC Print Club she launched two years ago, where members’ receive four original prints a year to their doorstep.
Spending her formative years as a child in Kenya and migrating to England in her early teens influences her practice. She explores concepts of “home, place, safety and comfort” within her printmaking practice, experimenting with combined monoprint, linocut and collagraph print techniques - more recently on the idea of “Stillness in Displacement”, of how landscape provides the constant anchoring between inner emotional displacement and outer physical displacement, a parallel in narrative between migration, the pandemic and landscape.
Leicester Print Workshop
Leicester Print Workshop is the regional development centre for printmaking. Established by artists in 1986, we are a registered charity, supported by Arts Council England. Our RIBA award-winning building is situated in Leicester City Centre's Cultural Quarter and is home to a large, well equipped open access Printmaking Studio.
We have over 30 years’ experience of teaching people printmaking. Our programme offers the largest number and broadest range of printmaking courses in the region, with courses suitable for beginners as well as experienced printmakers, delivered by practicing artists and nationally renowned tutors. Participants learn in small and friendly groups in our purpose-designed studio.
Online: You can book online here by credit / debit card or Paypal.
Telephone: You can pay by card over the phone during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm). Call us on 0116 251 4174.
In person: Call in to Leicester Print Workshop during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm) to book and pay by card, cash or cheque.
Pre-course information: We will send you details of how to find us and what to bring with you when we process your booking.
Full-Print Members of Leicester Print Workshop are entitled to a 10% discount on our inhouse courses. Interested in joining LPW as a member? Click here for more information.