Etching Summer School
|Leicester Print Workshop
|Date & Time
|Tuesday 6th - Saturday 10th June
10.30am - 4.30pm
Join Jemma Gunning for a fun week of exploring various Intaglio printmaking processes. The course will cover hardground, softground, sugar lift, aquatint, open bite, and chine collé. You will be guided through each process with the chance to experiment and combine techniques to produce rich and exciting outcomes. The traditional Intaglio process involves various methods of etching an image into the surface of a metal plate, using resists and acid, and ink and printing. This course is great for those new to Intaglio aswell as those looking to add to their repertoire or develop a strong set of skills in their current work. This will be a hands-on inky course where you’ll get to take a range of unique prints home with you!
Day 1 - Introduction to hard ground
- Introduction and welcome
- Demonstration of plate preparation
- Demonstration of hard ground process
- Participants create and etch hard ground plates.
- Demonstration of inking and wiping
- Participants proof plates and make counterproofs.
- Introduction to soft ground with demonstration
- Participants makes soft ground plates
- Proofing of plates
Day 2 - Combining hard and soft ground
- Demo of combining processes to create interesting line and tonal values.
- Demo of Chine Colle. – How to use watercolour to create interesting tissue paper designs to combine with your etching plates.
- Participants explore combing processes and the use of chine-colle.
- Continue etching and Printing plates
Day 3 - Introduction to aquatint
- Demonstration in aquatint – applying the rosin and the different stopping out tools that can be used for various mark making potential. Demo in step etching to achieve various tones.
- Participants start making aquatint plates
- Continue with making plates along with proofing and printing.
Day 4 - Introduction to sugar lift aquatint
- Demonstration on hoe to mix up a sugar lift solution
- Sugar lift demo
- Participants create sugar lift plates or add sugar lift to the plates created in the morning.
- Continue making plates and printing.
Day 5 - Introduction to open bite
- Demonstration in open biting process
- Demo in ink application for open bite – relief and intaglio combined.
- Participants either make an open bite plate or include it in one of their previous etched plates to combine techniques.
- PRINT FEVER – last chance to create a small edition from one or two of the plates created over the week.
- Reflection and review of work made.
About the Tutor
Jemma Gunning is an artist printmaker specialising in intaglio and lithographic processes.
In 2018 after graduating from University of the West of England (UWE) with an MA in Multidisciplinary Printmaking she was awarded a QEST scholarship to support a research fellowship at the City and Guilds of London Art School.
In 2019 and 2020 she was awarded an Elizabeth Greenshield grant to support the development of her creative practice and support the setup of her print workshop.
Jemma exhibits regularly nationally and internationally, works part time as a technical print instructor at UWE and runs freelance workshops through Bristol Print Collective that she co-founded in 2016.
Leicester Print Workshop
Leicester Print Workshop is the regional development centre for printmaking. Established by artists in 1986, we are a registered charity, supported by Arts Council England. Our RIBA award-winning building is situated in Leicester City Centre's Cultural Quarter and is home to a large, well equipped open access Printmaking Studio.
We have over 30 years’ experience of teaching people printmaking. Our programme offers the largest number and broadest range of printmaking courses in the region, with courses suitable for beginners as well as experienced printmakers, delivered by practicing artists and nationally renowned tutors. Participants learn in small and friendly groups in our purpose-designed studio.
Online: You can book online here by credit / debit card or Paypal.
Telephone: You can pay by card over the phone during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm). Call us on 0116 251 4174.
In person: Call in to Leicester Print Workshop during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm) to book and pay by card, cash or cheque.
Pre-course information: We will send you details of how to find us and what to bring with you when we process your booking.
Full-Print Members of Leicester Print Workshop are entitled to a 10% discount on our inhouse courses. Interested in joining LPW as a member? Click here for more information.