Layered Botanical Linocuts
|Location||Leicester Print Workshop|
|Date & Time||Saturday 17th, Sunday 18th & Monday 19th February 2024
10.00am - 4.00pm
Explore colour and light creating playful botanical landscapes as print sketches.
This three day course invites participants to experiment with layering by combining simple printmaking techniques connecting with vivid colour palettes and form. Experience botanical elements as a landscape through textures, simple lines, colour blocks and quiet mark making.
Introducing your own interpretation of colour and light play you can bring in your individual interpretation of stillness to the prints. During the course you will indulge in creating playful landscape prints experimenting with inking lino blocks in a monotype painterly technique, with the opportunity of working on top of your image with mono-etching and wax crayons, and incorporating a simple shaped collagraph plate printed as an additional blind embossed layer.
There will be the option to turn some of your prints into single-paper ‘flower books’. Participants are welcome to bring along their own sketchbook to work from ideas if they wish to, or a reference image or drawing, although a selection of visuals will be provided as a starting point for your prints.
Guidance and support will be on hand throughout from the tutor as well as encouraged shared learning between the group. The course will include a demonstrations of linocut tool handling through a simple and mindful mark-making exercise to help inform designs, and discussions about planning before you print, mono-etching and creating collagraph plates.
The course is suitable for beginners to those interested in playing with print and combining techniques and mediums.
- Demonstration of linocut tool handling
- Simple and mindful mark-making exercise to help inform designs
- Create shaped linocut blocks with mark-making patterns and designs
- Discussions about planning landscape layouts before you print
- Demonstration of inking blocks in a monotype painterly method
- Printing playful landscapes experimenting with inking lino blocks in a monotype painterly technique to begin building a small body of work.
- The work will be allowed to dry overnight.
- Demonstration of mono-etching
- Working on top of the linocut landscapes with mono-etching
- Introduce pockets of colour blocks to the prints with wax crayons
- Demonstration on making a collagraph plate, with discussions about planning collagraph plates layouts on your prints
- Create shaped collagraph plates
- The work and collagraph plates will be allowed to dry overnight.
- Demonstration of printing collagraph plates as a blind emboss layer
- Printing collagraph plates on prints as blind emboss layer
- Demonstration of transforming print/s into a single-paper book
- Select one or more print/s to work into single-paper flower book
- Sharing work with the group about print works created
- Tidy up and evaluation
About the TutorMandeep Dhadialla is an artist printmaker living in Leicester. Her work draws inspiration from her childhood in Kenya and migrating to England in her early teens. Mandeep’s fascination with exploring how people and the landscape are in an interconnected exchange are reflected through colour and light play. Her current body of work examines how landscape provides a source of constant anchoring between inner emotional and outer physical displacement as prints and sketches which often incorporate vivid colour palettes to reflect inner/outer connection as glowing light and luminosity, seeking out the hidden colours to the forefront. Mandeep teaches printmaking and bookmaking workshops and exhibits nationally and is a member of Leicester Print Workshop and Leicester Society of Artists.
Leicester Print Workshop
Leicester Print Workshop is the regional development centre for printmaking. Established by artists in 1986, we are a registered charity, supported by Arts Council England. Our RIBA award-winning building is situated in Leicester City Centre's Cultural Quarter and is home to a large, well equipped open access Printmaking Studio.
We have over 30 years’ experience of teaching people printmaking. Our programme offers the largest number and broadest range of printmaking courses in the region, with courses suitable for beginners as well as experienced printmakers, delivered by practicing artists and nationally renowned tutors. Participants learn in small and friendly groups in our purpose-designed studio.
Online: You can book online here by credit / debit card or Paypal.
Telephone: You can pay by card over the phone during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm). Call us on 0116 251 4174.
In person: Call in to Leicester Print Workshop during our opening hours (Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm) to book and pay by card, cash or cheque.
Pre-course information: We will send you details of how to find us and what to bring with you when we process your booking.
Full-Print Members of Leicester Print Workshop are entitled to a 10% discount on our inhouse courses. Interested in joining LPW as a member? Click here for more information.