Introduction to Surface Embellishment Textile Screen
|Leicester Print Workshop
|Date & Time
|Saturday 21st and Sunday 22nd September 2024
10.00am - 4.00pm
An exciting weekend to explore heatpress techniques ranging from flocking, foiling and puff binder to embellish fabrics and add texture to create one off pieces of textile art. You will expose a screen with a drawn image or mark making pattern that you will embellish using the heatpress techniques.
- Welcome and introduction to the course
- Coat screens ready for exposing.
- Begin to create designs to expose onto screen- spend some time drawing designs and thinking how your artwork could be transferred to fabric.
- Expose designs onto screen.
- Demonstration on how to print using textile printing medium. Learn to mix colours to create a bespoke colour palette.
- Explore printing onto fabric.
- Demonstration of printing with textile adhesive used for flocking and foiling. Puff binder will also be shown using hand cut stencils.
- Learn how to use the heatpress to apply flock and foil.
- Combine various techniques to create interesting fabric samples.
About the Tutor
Alex Palmer graduated from Loughborough University in 2010 with a 2:1 BA Honours in Printed Textiles Design. Currently working at De Montfort University in the printed and dyeing textiles department, Alex works closely with students introducing a variety of printing/dyeing techniques to enable the students to further develop their work.
Alex also produces dyed/printed textiles outside of her usual work to keep her inspired and on trend with what is happening in the textiles industry.
Leicester Print Workshop
Leicester Print Workshop is the regional development centre for printmaking. Established by artists in 1986, we are a registered charity, supported by Arts Council England. Our RIBA award-winning building is situated in Leicester City Centre's Cultural Quarter and is home to a large, well equipped open access Printmaking Studio.
We have over 30 years’ experience of teaching people printmaking. Our programme offers the largest number and broadest range of printmaking courses in the region, with courses suitable for beginners as well as experienced printmakers, delivered by practicing artists and nationally renowned tutors. Participants learn in small and friendly groups in our purpose-designed studio.
Online: You can book online here by credit / debit card or Paypal.
Telephone: You can pay by card over the phone during our opening hours (Wednesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm). Call us on 0116 251 4174.
In person: Call in to Leicester Print Workshop during our opening hours (Wednesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm) to book and pay by card, cash or cheque.
Pre-course information: We will send you details of how to find us and what to bring with you when we process your booking.
Full-Print Members of Leicester Print Workshop are entitled to a 10% discount on our inhouse courses. Interested in joining LPW as a member? Click here for more information.